February 9, 2010

Personal History: Wedding prep 2005


I had to find a dress and fast, I knew I wanted to buy a dress and so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I wrangled two of my friends into shopping with me and I tried on TONS of dresses, I wasn't really in love with any of them but I settled on one that I liked a lot. It was pretty and priced right and I didn't even have to alter it. I went to the register and as I was leaving the cashier says, "my sister wore this dress, it's really popular with LDS girls right now." Uh....what? I instantly hated my dress, if you know me at all you know I love to be different. I love to be unique and I couldn't bare the thought of knowing the dress I'd chosen was the current favorite. I didn't say anything, I took it home and tried to love it. The next day, I cried a lot. I know that's lame to cry over a dress, but I was so bummed about it. I called the store as a curious customer and asked what the return policy was. All sales are final.... That is when I called my brother-in-law Shawn, he is a master at knowing how to deal with these situations. Shawn has perfected an old grandma voice that he uses to his advantage. My "grandma" called the store and gave them a nice sob story, I felt rushed into buying the dress yada yada. I was able to take the dress back and start my search over. I ended up finding a great dress that I altered into exactly what I wanted. I loved it, but it was a lot more expensive to have those alterations made on a 4 week timetable. The best thing was that I saw two girls at the temple getting pictures taken the same day I was there; in my dress that I had originally picked out.

9 comments:

Sheri said...

no pictures?

jake and jenni said...

First off, he has an "old grandma" voice. I need to practice. You never know when that might come in handy! I want pictures of your dress. Knowing you, I am sure it was perfect.

p.s. definately NOT lame to cry over a dress!

Shannon said...

you should add a wedding pic to this post please...thank you...

Tami said...

I am very much enjoying your personal history. How about you write about that one semester we had at EA?

Danika said...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks there should be a photo of said dress! :)

Cicily said...

The dress, there will be a picture soon. I'm not sure exactly where I have them...but I promise as soon as I find them.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures. I love your style and wish I had just a teeny bit of it! ;) Also, it is NEVER lame to cry....at anything.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Since I didn't get an invite to said wedding...anyway...I will tell you now, you were a GORGEOUS BRIDE! Holy SMOKIN' HOT! Seriously Cic- I always told Dave I thought you were one of the prettiest girls in Mission Bay Ward...in a totally NON LESBIAN sort of way!

Annell said...

I Love that dress! So totally you!